This Easter, why not mix it up from the usual chocolate eggs with something perhaps even more delicious - chocolate dipped strawberries. And we are talking vegan, dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free, cacao rich fruity deliciousness that's fresh and healthy - plus won't send your kids on the dreaded sugar high!
Enjoy our simple recipe below which is quick and easy, with only 4-5 ingredients.
Healthy Vegan Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 1-2 tablespoons natural sweetener such as raw honey, grade A maple syrup, coconut nectar or agave
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- 1-2 tablespoons desiccated coconut or crushed almonds (to set on outside of chocolate coating)
- Rinse strawberries and pat dry. Place them in the freezer for 5 minutes so they are extra cold.
- Meanwhile gently warm the coconut oil on very low heat, just enough to bring it to liquid form. If your coconut oil is already in a liquid state, you can skip this part.
- In a small bowl mix together coconut oil, raw cacao and natural sweetener until a smooth, thick sauce forms. Make sure to add the amount of natural sweetener to taste.
- Dip strawberries into the cacao sauce mix, holding onto the leaves of the strawberries. Slowly roll the chocolate around the edges of the strawberry until the chocolate stops dripping. The cooler the strawberries are, the quicker the chocolate coating will set and make this easier!
- Optional: if you wish to crust them with the desiccated coconut or crushed almonds, wait until the chocolate coating is semi-set then gently dab into the toppings so it sticks.
- Place each dipped strawberry onto parchment paper and refrigerate until firmly set.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy!