This family favourite, healthy apple crumble recipe free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar is the ultimate cool weather dessert. Your kitchen will come alive with the scent of apple, cinnamon and toasted coconut.
Recipe by nutritionist, naturopath and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons from www.livelovenourish.com.au
4 large green apples, peeled & sliced thinly
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup organic shredded coconut
1/2 cup macadamias, chopped
3 tbsp melted coconut oil + extra to grease
2 tbsp almond butter/spread
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 175’C.
- Grease a large pie dish with coconut oil. Spread apple slices evenly into a pie dish and sprinkle with a touch of extra cinnamon and vanilla powder. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt coconut oil and almond butter over low heat.
- In a mixing bowl combine almond meal, coconut, macadamias, coconut sugar, vanilla powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour melted almond butter mixture into mix and combine well.
- Spoon crumble evenly over apples and bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve warm with optional coconut yoghurt, sugar free coconut ice cream or thickened coconut cream.