“Slip, slop, slap!”
It’s part of the Australian vernacular and a saying that has been engrained into our psyche. With lots of beautiful days still coming up is time to rethink what we really know about the sunscreen we are using.
And are we using the sunscreen that is best for our skin? Particularly if our skin is sensitive.
Let’s start out with the basics.
The sun causes damage to our skin through it’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Within the UV spectrum, there are two types of UV rays that harm our skin and lead to skin cancer.
- UVA rays have a longer wavelength which causes skin damage that leads to skin aging and wrinkles. The shortest wavelengths of UVA rays also contribute to sunburn.
- UVB rays have a shorter wavelength which causes sunburn and plays a key role in developing skin cancer. A sunscreen’s SPF (Sun Protection Factor) number refers mainly to the amount of UVB protection it provides.
It is important that you protect your skin from both types of UV rays.
Recently the TGA increased the maximum SPF rating from 30 to 50. Interestingly though, SPF50 only offers marginally more protection than SPF30. SPF50 filters 98% of UVB rays, whilst SPF blocks a comparable 96.7%.
The zinc oxide used in Wotnot Natural Sunscreen forms a natural mineral zinc shield which blocks out both UVA and UVB rays. Wotnot Natural Sunscreen is Australian made and owned and designed for the whole family, from your three-month-old baby to our beloved centenarians.
Not just designed for sun protection but also to nourish the skin.
We all know we should use sunscreen every day, but what about those harsh ingredients that we then lather on our biggest organ, the skin? Especially sufferers of eczema, psoriasis or rosacea know how hard it is to find everyday essential products that don’t irritate their skin.
Wotnot Organic Sunscreens are created to soothe and protect the skin four ways to prevent premature ageing, sun damage and sun allergies:
- First it creates a physical shield with our natural zinc oxide to deflect the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays and prevent them from entering the epidermis.
- All-natural beeswax and candelilla wax create a barrier to lock in moisture so that the skin doesn’t dry out.
- Beautiful, certified organic aloe very leaf juice replenishes the skins moisture which is then locked in by the waxes above.
- More certified organic oils such as shea butter, jojoba and safflower help bind the skin cells together to avoid cracking of the skin.
This way even the most sensitive skin gets to keep its elasticity and smoothness all through the year when enjoying the great outdoors.
We love receiving feedback form our customers, both the very young and young at heart! 😊
“It’s the only sunscreen I have found that helps with my son’s eczema which is quite bad on the face, plus it’s effective sun protection. Even in winter, I use this daily to treat his eczema and dry skin and I can see a big difference after only a few days. Highly recommend for children with sensitive dry skin!”
Review by Sarah on 28th June 2020.
I am a 67 year old male with fair and sensitive skin. I had several years managing seborrheic dermatitis. It would regularly break out on my forehead and hairline; red, lumpy and itchy. I tried a variety of different treatments, to no avail. About 6 months ago, I decided that my conventional sun cream was a contributor, so I looked at some zinc oxide types. Within a few days after trying Wotnot, the outbreak that I had, was gone. I now use Wotnot every morning and evening. On that regime, I have no outbreaks at all. If I don’t apply the Wotnot for a couple of days, the dermatitis returns. The Wotnot also works well as a sun cream!
Cheers (and thanks!)
Review by Neil on 21st Sept 2020.
Wotnot Naturals is a proud supporter of the Eczema Association Australia.